Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a fabulous cake. Quick and easy good for beginners. Cake is good for all occasions, any time of year. Any kind of apples can be used for this recipe. Guaranteed to make your mouth water.
- 1⁄3 cup butter, cut up
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 small cooking apples, halved, stems removed, cored (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lb.)
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Place 1/3 cup butter in a 9x9x2-inch baking pan. Place in oven 5 minutes or until butter melts. Sprinkle brown sugar over butter; stir. Arrange 9 apple halves in mixture, cut sides down. Bake in oven 10 to 15 minutes or until bubbly.
- Meanwhile, peel remaining apples. Coarsely shred; set aside. In bowl combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, ginger, and cinnamon. Add shredded apple, milk, 1/4 cup butter, egg, and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer on low until combined; beat on medium 1 minute. Spoon over apples, spread evenly (apple may be exposed; some butter may come to surface).
- Bake 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen edges; invert onto platter. Spoon any topping in pan over top. Cool 20 minutes; serve with ice cream. Makes 9 servings.
Yum! This is just all kinds of good comfort food in one dish! I used granny smith apples & couldn't find my 9x9 baking pan (probably in the freezer or at a friend's house) so I had to use the 8x8. I didn't change the amount of ingredients or the cooking time & everything went smoothly. The texture of the cake is incredibly moist with all the grated apple and the apple halves (I left the peel on those) were like little built-in cups of homemade applesauce. DELISH! The cake isn't too sweet. Would make a great coffee cake for brunch. I think it could even go a little sweeter when using the granny smith apples. I'll definitely be making this again & might try subbing a bit of brown sugar in for some of the white sugar in the cake portion. The caramelized apple tops were so good! I'm so glad I decided to make this recipe (as your nobby cake & congo bars were also on my list)! Made & enjoyed for the Spring 2009 Pick A Chef Orphanage.
This was really good. I used honey crisp apples. It was super easy and the directions are perfect. I only wish I would have had the ice cream to go with it. Thanks for sharing such a nice recipe.
Easy! Yummy! I did peel the apples (personal preference). I used gala apples since that is what I had on hand. I topped with whipped cream as I didn't have any vanilla ice cream but ice cream would have been awesome! Definitely goes into my "great desserts for fall" folder!