Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Apple Upside Down Cake from the TV show Cultivating Life.
Make and share this Apple Upside Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 -3 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, plus
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 -3 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cloves or 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To prepare topping, melt butter and brown sugar in sauté pan. Pour into 9 inch spring-form pan that has been buttered. Arrange apple slices in a decorative fan in the butter and sugar mixture.
- To prepare batter, sift flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and allspice together and set aside. In large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk and lemon juice, molasses,, maple syrup, melted butter and brown sugar. Slowly add dry ingredients, mixing as you go. Stir until evenly incorporated.
- Pour batter over the apple slices and bake for approximately 1 hour to 1 hour 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out of cake clean when inserted into center of cake. Let cake cool for 10-15 minutes, then remove spring form and flip over, loosening cake from bottom of pan with a spatula or long knife.
- Serve with whipped cream, if you like.