Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cooking Light. Jan 2008
- 1 tablespoon dark corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons butter
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 3 cups thinly sliced peeled braeburn apples (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2⁄3 cup cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup whipped cream
- ground cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Melt corn syrup and butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat; remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar and pecans; arrange apple slices spokelike over brown sugar mixture, working from center of skillet to edge.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar, rind, vanilla, and eggs, stirring with a whisk. Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Add whole egg mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- Gently fold in egg white mixture.
- Spoon batter over apples.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen cake from sides of pan with a knife. Place a plate upside down on top of cake. Invert cake onto plate.
- Cut into wedges. Serve with whipped cream. Garnish with cinnamon, if desired.