Cristina Barry's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/4 lbs tart apples, such as Empire (3 apples) or 1 1/4 lbs granny smith apples (3 apples)
- 3 tablespoons dried cherries
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus
- extra sugar, to sprinkle on top
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Combine the orange zest and orange juice in a bowl.
- 3Peel, quarter, and core the apples and then cut them in 3/4-inch dice.
- 4Immediately toss the apples with the zest and juice to prevent them from turning brown.
- 5Add the cherries, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- 6Flour a board and lightly roll each sheet of puff pastry to a 12 by 12-inch square. Cut each sheet into 4 smaller squares and keep chilled until ready to use.
- 7Brush the edges of each square with the egg wash and neatly place about 1/3 cup of the apple mixture on half of the square.
- 8Fold the pastry diagonally over the apple mixture and seal by pressing the edges with a fork.
- 9Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- 10Brush the top with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar, make 2 small slits, and bake for 20 minutes, until browned and puffed.
- 11Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Turnovers
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.8
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 26.4 mg
- Sodium 180.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: