Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Eating Well. Makes 2 servings.
Make and share this Apple Turkey Picadillo recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces 99% lean ground turkey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 medium tart green apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 3 tablespoons chopped green olives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sliced scallion top
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until soft, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Add turkey; cook, stirring and breaking up, until lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cloves; cook for 30 seconds. Stir in vinegar, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in apple, tomato, olives and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat and gently simmer, stirring often, until any liquid in the pan has reduced to a syrupy glaze, about 8 minutes. Stir in scallion greens and serve.
This was a pretty tasty twist on a picadillo. I served it over corn tortillas and used a lot of hot sauce. The apples added a really nice, mild sweetness, but I needed some spiciness to balance that out- just a personal preference. Thanks for sharing!
This is a WONDERFUL FLAVORFUL HEALTHY picadillo! I doubled the recipe but otherwise followed it exactly. I LOVED the green olives (I used sliced). PERFECT for a cool fall night! Made for the Zaar tag game.