AWARD Winning recipe from Taste of Home from Ivy Eresmas. States that this tangy tuna salad gets fun flavor from sweet pickle relish and lots of crunch from apples, celery and walnuts. This recipe is great for non-tuna lovers because the sweetness takes the edge out of the "fishy" flavor of tuna. . .it is more sweet and tangy. I have served this on Hawaiian Sweet Bread and it is FANTASTIC!!!
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts (may sub pecans)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions (may sub green onions for a milder onion flavor)
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can light chunk tuna in water, drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped apple (any work well)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red seedless grapes
- 6 slices reduced-calorie whole wheat bread, toasted
- 6 lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl, combine the eight ingredients; stir in tuna, apple and grapes. Spread 1/2 cup tuna mixture on three slices of bread.
- Top with lettuce and remaining 3 slices of bread.
Really really good. I loved the textures of this sandwich. I would have never thought to put nuts in tuna but it works. Thanks for the recipe. I will make this often.
Super delicious tuna sandwich. Use red delicious apple and loved the crisp sweet flavor. Thanks for sharing.
Delicious! Loved all the textures and flavors in this sandwich. Made as written using sourdough bread in place of whole wheat because that is what we had on hand. The mix of sweet and savory complements the tuna so well making this sandwich a real keeper. Thanks so much for the post.