Top Review by *Parsley*
The combination of flavors really works well in this casserole! I cut the butter down to 4 tbsp and sauteed some chopped scallion to add some flavor to the cheese sauce. Instead of processed cheese, I used sharp cheddar. After baking, the apples were soft, but still had a slight crunch. I think some fresh parsley or tarragon would be a terrific addition to this. I will certainly make this again. Thanx for sharing!
- 2 cups macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups process American cheese
- 2 cups tuna in water, drained
- 2 cups tart apples, core/dice
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, soft
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- In saucepan, melt 6 tb butter or margarine over low heat.
- Blend in flour and 3/4 ts salt.
- Add milk all at once.
- Cook quickly, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Add cheese; stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir in tuna, diced apples and drained macaroni; turn into 12x7x2 inch baking dish.
- Combine melted butter and crumbs.
- Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes, or until apples are tender.