Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe from The Art Institute
- 3 cups all-purpose cooking apples, cut 3/4 inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, granulated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, fresh
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, granulated
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup red currant jelly
- combine apples, first sugar, vanilla and water, simmer covered over medium heat until apples are soft but not mushy, check after 10 minutes Let cool.
- Over medium heat, using saute pan, toast bread crumbs until golden brown, add second amount of granulated sugar, and cook 1-2 minutes until nicely browned.
- Turn off the heat add butter and stir until combined with breadcrumbs, remove from pan and cool.
- Layer apples and breadcrumb mixture in serving bowl, starting with apples and finishing with breadcrumbs.
- Decorate trifle with whipped cream and jelly.
- can replace bread crumbs with vanilla wafer, oatmeal cookies, etc -- .