Tosca refers to a delicious, briefly boiled almond caramel topping that can be used to crown cakes, fruit cobblers and the like. Here it is combined with a yummy apple pie.
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Line a 24 cm round cake pan (with a removable bottom) with foil, grease.
- To make crust: cream butter and sugar; add egg, mix to combine; add flour, ground almonds and baking powder, quickly mix into batter. Spread batter on bottom of the prepared pan.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Cover the surface of the batter with apple slices.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
- While the pie is baking, prepare the topping: Combine all topping ingredients in a saucepan. Heat the mixture gently to boiling point, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat as soon as the first few bubbles appear. Do not boil!
- Take the half-baked pie out of the oven and quickly spread the hot topping on top of it.
- Place the pie back in the oven and continue baking for about 20 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.
- Let cool completely before removing from pan. You can also use a 24 cm pie dish and serve the pie in its dish.