Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Tosca refers to a delicious, briefly boiled almond caramel topping that can be used to crown cakes, fruit cobblers and the like. Here it is combined with a yummy apple pie.
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Line a 24 cm round cake pan (with a removable bottom) with foil, grease.
- To make crust: cream butter and sugar; add egg, mix to combine; add flour, ground almonds and baking powder, quickly mix into batter. Spread batter on bottom of the prepared pan.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Cover the surface of the batter with apple slices.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
- While the pie is baking, prepare the topping: Combine all topping ingredients in a saucepan. Heat the mixture gently to boiling point, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat as soon as the first few bubbles appear. Do not boil!
- Take the half-baked pie out of the oven and quickly spread the hot topping on top of it.
- Place the pie back in the oven and continue baking for about 20 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.
- Let cool completely before removing from pan. You can also use a 24 cm pie dish and serve the pie in its dish.
This pie is great - the almonds on top are delicious!
This is a delightful pie - extremely tastey and the crunch of the almonds add a nice texture. This is a keeper for me. Thanks you, stormylee.
Oh, stormylee! This apple pie is soooooooo delicious! Tiger just declared it to be his all time favourite apple pie! And mind you he's fussy! When I made it I expected the crust to be different, more the texture of a traditional apple pie. That's why I first was worried that I did something wrong or that the recipe would be faulty. But then I read in the instructions that you have to spread it into the pan and also your beautiful picture was helpful. I used 3 1/2 very small tart apples. The tartness worked well with the oh SO DELICIOUS tosca topping. This topping reminds me of squares or bars called Hummelschnitten. I've never made Hummelschnitten myself, but I do have a recipe that I will hopefully try soon and post if the bars/squares turn out well. Thank you again for a keeper!