Recipe by Oolala
From the Star Ledger. Published in "Jersey Fresh Cooks" (NJ Dept. of Agriculture) from Harriet Kurtzman. This is easy and good!
Top Review by CookingTimeForMe
I followed other reviewers' suggestions and cut the sugar, but I went down to 1/4 cup, and then used 1/4 cup of applesauce & agave nectar mixed. I also subbed two egg whites for the egg, a soy and whole wheat flour blend for the flour, and used canola oil instead of butter. And you know what? This was still phenomenal - only without the saturated fat and blood sugar spike! Thank you for posting!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large apples, peeled, cored, cut into crescent slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream toghether butter and sugar. Add egg and beat.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Beat dry ingredients into butter mixture.
- Stir apples into batter, which will be thick and hard to stir.
- Turn into a buttered 9" pie pan and spread smooth.
- Bake for 1 hour, until just brown.