Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Star Ledger. Published in "Jersey Fresh Cooks" (NJ Dept. of Agriculture) from Harriet Kurtzman. This is easy and good!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream toghether butter and sugar. Add egg and beat.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Beat dry ingredients into butter mixture.
- Stir apples into batter, which will be thick and hard to stir.
- Turn into a buttered 9" pie pan and spread smooth.
- Bake for 1 hour, until just brown.
Great recipe, although I used 1/2 c white sugar and 1/4 c brown sugar.
I followed other reviewers' suggestions and cut the sugar, but I went down to 1/4 cup, and then used 1/4 cup of applesauce & agave nectar mixed. I also subbed two egg whites for the egg, a soy and whole wheat flour blend for the flour, and used canola oil instead of butter. And you know what? This was still phenomenal - only without the saturated fat and blood sugar spike! Thank you for posting!
WOW! This is unbelievably delicious! I doubled the recipe and baked it in a 9x13 dish. It baked into a cake-like layered apple dish that cuts nicely into squares for serving. Wonderful and so easy -- thanks for sharing Oolala!