1/1 Photo of Apple Topped Kahlua and Cream Dessert
Mama's Kitchen (Hope)'s Note:
This scrumptious yet SIMPLE and fast dessert will WOW them and make them think you spent the entire day preparing this gorgeous dish just for them. Purchased cake gets a brush of Kahlua, then is drenched with a cinnamon apple topping and finished off with a yummy dollop of fresh whipped cream! mmmmm The apples can be prepared at anytime and kept in the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble the dessert, making it even faster! I created this with tart apples because it adds a nice spark that compliments the sweetness of this dish wonderfully. You could use any fresh apple you choose. NOTE: Splenda sweetened products can be used and substituted here with the same wonderful results! Created for RSC 10. Good luck to all chefs participating in this contest!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1 poundcake (we like the pound cake best but angel food will save some calories!) or 1 angel food cake (we like the pound cake best but angel food will save some calories!)
- 4 tart apples, cored and sliced in about 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup pecans, halves or 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, no margarine please
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup golden raisin (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted to remove any lumps
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- pecans (optional)
- 1Optional but SO worth it: Toast pecans in a skillet for a few minutes to release the oils and make them really yummy! They are done when you can start to smell them. Remove from skillet and reserve.
- 2Add butter to skillet and add apple slices (peeled or unpeeled) and raisins if using. Saute until the apples begin to soften. Add brown sugar, cinnamon and reserved pecans and cook just until apples reach desired softness.
- 3Meanwhile, slice cake into 8 slices about 1 inch thick or as desired. You will have cake left over- what a pity!
- 4Using a pastry brush baste cake with kahlua using about 1 1/2 tsp per piece- or more if desired.
- 5Beat cream, sifted powdered sugar, and extract in chilled bowl until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat! (You will get great results if you place the bowl and beaters in the freezer for about 20 minutes before using them. Also make sure that your cream is very cold. I even put the sifted sugar and the extract in the refrigerator to chill!).
- 6Top pound cake with warm apple topping and then a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
- 7Sprinkle with additional pecans (chopped, broken or halves) to garnish if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Topped Kahlua and Cream Dessert
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 472.1
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 138.8 mg
- Sodium 208.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 26.3 g
- Protein 3.5 g