Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Buttery and moist with a topping of cinnamon, sugar and apples!
- 4 cups apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Set the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Dip apple slices in lemon juice to coat; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter and cream cheese; add in the sugar, and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the almond extract.
- In a bowl; sift/mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture; mix well after each addition.
- Pour the batter into prepared baking pan.
- Combine the 1/2 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp flour and the cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Toss the apple slices in the flour/cinnamon mixture, tossing lightly to coat well.
- Arrange the apple slices evenly on top of the batter in the pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
I made this the night before, set it on a rack to cool, then brought it to work in the morning. It was very popular, moist and dense, rich and not too sweet - JUST right! I think next time I will try to eat it after it is just cool enough to cut but still a little warmer - has anyone tried it with ice cream?
The cake was not as moist as I tought it would be. But it was good with coffee.
Rich, moist and buttery! The apple-cinnamon topping is the crowning glory to this wonderful coffeecake. I made as directed using about 5 cups of apples on top and increasing the cinnamon and sugar amounts slightly. I will definitely remember to make this one again, Kitten! Thank you : )