2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This tart is possibly the most divine apple tart I've ever tasted! The cookbook has long since been lost but I think I have managed to find a recipe that is very close to the original. I haven't tried this one out yet but it's on my to-do-soon list!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the pastry base
For the frangipani mix
- 125 g unsalted butter, softened
- 125 g icing sugar
- 125 g ground almonds
- 25 g plain flour
- 2 1/2 medium eggs
- 20 ml Tia Maria (optional)
For the apple puree
- 4 large apples, bramley is a good brand
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- clotted cream
- vanilla ice cream
- 1Preparation time does not include time to chill pastry.
- 2First make the pastry. In a bowl, rub the butter into the flour until well combined.
- 3In another bowl, whisk the eggs together.
- 4Sieve the sugar into the butter and flour mix and add the salt. Then add the eggs and mix thoroughly until a dough is formed. You can do this by hand or in a food processor.
- 5Roll out the pastry, wrap in cling film and chill for several hours.
- 6Next make the frangipani. Cream the butter using an electric whisk then beat in the sugar, ground almonds and flour. Add the eggs one by one followed by the tia maria (if using). This mixture can be stored in the fridge for 4 to 5 days but remember to remove from the fridge 30 minutes before using.
- 7Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
- 8To make the puree, peel and chop the apples then place in a large pan with the butter, sugar, and lemon. Cover the apples with water and cook on the stove-top for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 9To assemble the tart, remove the pastry from the fridge, roll out to about 4.5mm thick and use to line a pastry case. Keep any leftover pastry to one side for decoration later.
- 10Fill with baking beans and blind-bake the pastry in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 11Once cooked, remove from the oven and place a layer of the apple puree in the case. Put the frangipani mixture into a piping bag. Starting from the centre, pipe the mixture so it completely covers the top of the tart.
- 12Optional decoration (if you have enough left-over pastry):.
- 13Roll the remaining pastry again to about 4.5mm thick and cut into strips. Twist each strip and lay across top of tart in a criss-cross fashion.
- 14Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and bake in the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- 15Leave to cool then dust with icing sugar. Serve with either clotted cream or vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple & Tia Maria Frangipani Tart
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 508.7
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 112.6 mg
- Sodium 27.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 29.0 g
- Protein 9.7 g