Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I just found this recipe and unfortunately I don't have any apples but it looks delicious. Just thought I would post it as someone is bound to have the ingredients at hand...
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups green apples, chopped,peeled
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves, and small sprigs
- whipped cream
- 2 green apples, wedges (optional)
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees F and butter and flour a 9-inch layer cake tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then add the eggs and beat until blended.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and sift; set aside.
- Beat the buttermilk into the egg mixture, then fold in the sifted dry ingredients.
- Fold in the apple and thyme.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out dry.
- Serve each wedge with whipped cream onthe side.
- For an optional garnish touch, cut a green apple wedge into crosswise slices with a sharp knife (which minimises browning) and arrange a few slices next to the whipped cream.