Recipe by Aunty Dotty
This is a few years old this recipe, so I can't remember where it came from. It's an unusual but beautiful combination. My notes say to have it with great thick cream and a good Shiraz (! No idea where that came from! )
Top Review by Outta Here
Very tasty. I used 2 teaspoons of dried thyme (didn't have fresh), but could have used more. This was like a moist cornbread. I used Splenda and it turned out fine. I will try this with rosemary, too! Thanks for posting. P.S. Had to use my cheap camera, due to dead battery in my good one, so the pics aren't the best! :)
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups chopped apples
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter & sugar, then add eggs and beat well.
- Sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, soda and salt and set aside.
- Beat buttermilk into the egg mix, then fold in the dry mix.
- Fold in the apple and thyme and pour into a buttered and floured cake tin ( about 23cm ).
- Bake at 180C degrees for 35 mins or until cooked.