Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Classic cake to have at high tea.
- 1 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 apples
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, for topping
- Peel and core apples, cut into thin slices, cut each slice in half.
- Cream butter, add sugar and beat until light and fluffy; beat in egg.
- Fold in sifted flour and salt alternately with milk, mix well.
- Spread mixture into well-greased 8 inc sandwich tin, arrange a whirl of apple slices on top, sprinkle with combined cinnamon and extra sugar. Bake in moderate oven for around 45 minutes.