Recipe by CountryLady
I found this recipe by Lucy Waverman (a well known Toronto chef) in a publication about seasonal produce. It refrigerates well & stays fresh for days - if it lasts. The apples settle into a dark brown mass & cut like a cake. Serve with cinnamon or licorice ice cream for a perfect fall dessert!!
- 8 cooking apples (I use Spy)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice (or 1/2 tsp cinnamon)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, core& thinly slice apples.
- Toss with orange rind& allspice.
- In a 9 inch round cake pan, place apples in thin even layers with round side of slices against edge of pan, then fill in the middle& any gaps.
- Sprinkle with sugar& raisins and dot with butter as you go.
- Apples should come about 1 inch above the rim of the pan but will shrink as they cook.
- Cover with foil& place on a baking sheet in a preheated 250F oven.
- Bake for 5 hours.
- Turn off oven& let cool.
- Remove from oven& invert onto a plate with a slight rim to catch any juices.