Recipe by Baby Kato
I love apple pies. All kinds of apple pies and this is a different recipe yet again. I really hope you enjoy this recipe. Its very special.
- 2 tart apples, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 14.78 ml white sugar
- 226.79 g frozen puff pastry, thawed (1 sheet)
- 59.14 ml butter, melted
Nutmeg Scented Orange Custard
- 158.51 ml milk
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 29.58 ml white sugar
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract, pure
- 1 small orange, grated rind
- 0.59 ml nutmeg, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Nutmeg Scented Orange Custard: In small pan, scald milk, remove from heat, set aside.
- Over double broiler beat egg yolks and sugar until thick. Add milk in slowly. Cook over simmering water, whisking constantly for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla, orange rind and nutmeg. Place a piece of plastic wrap over custard to prevent a skin from forming, cool and chill. Custard may be served warm or cold.
- Apple Tartlet: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place thinly sliced apples in small bowl and toss with lemon juice and 2 tsps sugar.
- On lightly floured board lay out the puff pastry. Cut out 4 circles 5" in diameter. Sprinkle the baking sheet with water and place the pastry circles on sheet.
- Brush the circles with butter and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tsp sugar. Place the apples over the circle in a pinwheel type pattern, remembering to leave a 1/4" border of uncovered pastry all around. Drizzle remaining butter over the apples.
- Bake the tarts for 10 minutes.
- Spoon custard sauce onto dessert plate and place a warm tart in the center, spoon a tsp of sauce over apple tart as well.