Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Apple tarts were a special treat when I was growing up, and now I've made this recipe my own. I like to use a shortbread crust and glaze the apples with raspberry jam to make them rosy.
For the crust
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg yolk
For the filling
- 4 apples
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flour, sugar and salt for the crust.
- Coat the butter in the flour mixture and slice into small pieces.
- For those of us without pastry cutting devices, rub the butter between your fingers with one hand while sprinkling flour on it with the other to create smaller and smaller butter chunks.
- Continue for a few minutes until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add the yolk of one egg, and blend until the dough sticks together.
- (I recommend using your hands).
- If the dough is not sticky enough, add a teaspoon of water and try again.
- Roll the dough out in between 2 layers of wax paper.
- Then carefully flip it onto a tart pan.
- Sprinkle some flour on the bottom of the crust to help absorb juice from the apples.
- Peel and cut the apples into 1/4 inch slices.
- Arrange in concentric circles over the crust, overlapping like a fan.
- Sprinkle the sugar, cinnamon and ginger over the apples.
- If you are using really tart apples, you may want to add an extra tbspn sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan heat the raspberry jam until liquified.
- When the tart is baked, brush the apples with raspberry glaze.
I liked the flavor of this tart. The only issue I had was that I did not have the right amount of pastry, due to the fact that the size of the tart pan was not provided in the recipe. Obviously, my tart pan was larger than what was needed. It really should have been specified in the recipe.<br/>Otherwise, the apples came out nice and tender and the flavor was perfect. The shortbread crust was a nice touch.
Giving the recipe a two on the off chance I missed something in the translation . . . I ended up with dried apples on a tortilla like crust. Didn't work for me.