Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love this almond filling and use it in a lot of my tarts, before the creme patisserie layer. It is so good.
- To make frangipane: combine almonds and ¼ cup sugar in food processor and grind into a powder.
- Add 2 tblsps butter, vanilla, rum and egg and process thoroughly.
- On a floured surface, roll pate brisee into a very thin circle (about 1/16 of an inch thick).
- Brush top of dough lightly to remove flour, roll up on rolling pin and unroll over 10 inch flan ring set on top of a baking sheet.
- Lift up overhanging dough and press into position so that dough adheres well inside ring without being stretched.
- Press rolling pin across top of ring to cut away excess dough.
- Spread frangipane on dough.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel apples, cut in half, core, and cut into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Set aside the larger center pieces of apple.
- Coarsely chop end pieces (about 2 cups) and spread over frangipane.
- Arrange apple slices in concentric circles over chopped apples.
- Sprinkle top with 1 tblsp sugar and dot with butter.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove ring and slide tart carefully onto serving platter while still hot.
- Cool slightly.
- Heat preserves, stirring constantly, over low heat.
- Push through a fine sieve.
- Add Calvados and combine.
- Using a pastry brush, spread glaze over tart, thickly.
- Cut into wedges and serve at room temperature.
- Nice with a dollop of crème fraiche (in my recipes) or whipped cream.
It hardly seems fair to rate this, since I really only used the Frangipane filling (I used my own Pate Brisee and I filled it with carmelized apples for extra flavor). But it was incredible, simple to make, absolutely delicious! It's a keeper for sure.