Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Sweet and wonderful and the whipped cream is to die for
- 5 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into large wedges
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and kept warm
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup creme fraiche
- 2 teaspoons calvados, plus
- 1 tablespoon calvados (apple brandy)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples with the melted butter and 1 tablespoon of the sugar.
- In a bowl fitted with an electric mixer, combine 1/2 cup sugar and eggs.
- Beat until pale and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the creme fraiche and 2 teaspoons Calvados and beat for 1 minute.
- Decoratively arrange the apples evenly over the bottom of the baked tart shell.
- Pour the cream mixture over the apples and spread to the edges.
- Bake until the cream is set and the apples are tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks start to form.
- Add 2 teaspoons of confectioners' sugar and the remaining tablespoon of Calvados and beat until stiff peaks start to form.
- Transfer to a decorative bowl.
- Remove the tart from the pastry mold.
- Place on a platter, dust with confectioners' sugar, and serve with the Calvados whipped cream.