Prep 1 min
Cook 30 mins
This is not your normal apple tart. The healthy date, nut crust allows you to indulge without guilt or compromising flavor. It takes no time to prepare, and will please and satisfy anyone who loves apple pie, you will love me for this one
- 2 1⁄2 cups walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups dates
- 3 green apples, such as Granny Smith
- 1 lemon, juice of, in
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- Combine walnuts and dates in food processor.
- Make sure you remove pits if dates have them and cut off end where stem was.Process until well mixed and ground, but not smooth.About 40 seconds.It should be a coarse texture when done.
- Press evenly into a 9 inch tart pan.
- Set in refrigerator while making the filling.
- Slice apples by cutting into quarters.Cut out core and slice crosswise in ¼ inch thick slices.Put into lemon water while you finish cutting apples.Drain well in colander when done.
- Place apples in a large skillet with rest of the ingredients and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently on medium heat.
- Remove apples with a slotted spoon from hot pan to a bowl and cool completely.
- Reduce liquid to about half the volume and cool separately.
- Spread apples evenly over crust.Brush syrup over apples.
- Can be served right away or will keep in refrigerator until needed.
- Keep tart covered in refrigerator so it doesn't pick up moisture.
- Top with a little vanilla yogurt if desired.
*Reviewed for Australian/New Zealand Forum Recipe September 2007* This slice was too easy to prepare. The walnuts and dates took about 5 minutes to process using my food processor-but pressed very easily into the baking dish. The apple topping was very quick and esy to make-also had a great blend of spices. Overall the slice was very moist and sweet-yummy with a little ice-cream. This slice could easily be made vegan if using a honey substitute such as sugar or rice syrup. Photo also to be posted. Thanks Perfect Pixie for another yummy gluten-free treat :)