This is not your normal apple tart. The healthy date, nut crust allows you to indulge without guilt or compromising flavor. It takes no time to prepare, and will please and satisfy anyone who loves apple pie, you will love me for this one
- Combine walnuts and dates in food processor.
- Make sure you remove pits if dates have them and cut off end where stem was.Process until well mixed and ground, but not smooth.About 40 seconds.It should be a coarse texture when done.
- Press evenly into a 9 inch tart pan.
- Set in refrigerator while making the filling.
- Slice apples by cutting into quarters.Cut out core and slice crosswise in ¼ inch thick slices.Put into lemon water while you finish cutting apples.Drain well in colander when done.
- Place apples in a large skillet with rest of the ingredients and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently on medium heat.
- Remove apples with a slotted spoon from hot pan to a bowl and cool completely.
- Reduce liquid to about half the volume and cool separately.
- Spread apples evenly over crust.Brush syrup over apples.
- Can be served right away or will keep in refrigerator until needed.
- Keep tart covered in refrigerator so it doesn't pick up moisture.
- Top with a little vanilla yogurt if desired.