Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Lovely tart that looks good, tastes wonderful and very French.
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 6 cups tart apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon white flour
- 1⁄4 cup vanilla sugar
- To make the crust, place the flour, sugar, salt, margarine, and butter in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse 5 times.
- Add the egg yolk. With the motor running, add the water.
- Process until the dough sticks together, this will take only 5 to 6 seconds.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make the filling, place all the filling ingredients in a bowl, mix well, and set aside.
- Cut the dough in half. Roll one piece into a circle 1/4 inch thick and fit that into the bottom of a buttered 9-inch springform pan, curling the dough around the sides. Spread the apple filling evenly over the crust.
- Roll out the remaining dough to a 1/4-inch thickness and cover the apple mixture with it, tucking the sides of the dough into the pan with a thin spatula.
- Cut a few slits in the top crust.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees or until the tart is golden brown. Let cool to room temperature before serving.
- Dust the tart with vanilla sugar and cut into wedges, and serve.
- *Vanilla Sugar - Open a box of confectioners' sugar into a plastic container. Take a fresh vanilla bean, split it lengthwise, scrape some of the seeds into the sugar and mix well. Place the slit vanilla bean in the plastic continaer and store for 3 or 4 days.