Recipe by Lennie
This dessert recipe is taken straight from "Foods, Nutrition and Home Management Manual", published in 1942 by the "Government of the Province of British Columbia".
- 3⁄4 cup pearl tapioca (OR 1/2 cup minute tapioca)
- cold water
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 7 sour apples
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak pearl tapioca for one hour in enough cold water to cover; drain; add boiling water and salt.
- Note that minute tapioca requires no soaking.
- Cook in double boiler until transparent.
- Core and pare apples; arrange in a buttered pudding-dish; fill cavities with sugar.
- Pour over the tapioca and bake in a moderate oven till apples are soft.
- Serve with sugar and cream or a custard sauce.
- Recipe note: Rhubarb or pineapple may be substituted for apple, and sugar added to taste.