Prep 7 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my best loved desserts because it brings back childhood memories of huge Sunday lunches with family and friends.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups sliced cooked apples
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one by one beating well after each addition.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to mixture.
- Add milk mixing well.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Pour into greased Pyrex dish (9'' x 12") and spread evenly.
- Pack apple pieces evenly over batter.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes checking at 25 minutes.
- Boil all syrup ingredients together for 5 minutes and pour over hot cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Serve as a cake or dessert with custard or cream.
This was super moist and really "sinfully" delicious. I too substituted the "fresh apples" with a tin of pie apples. I never made the syrup mixture, but did however indulge with a huge "dollop" of freshly whipped cream. A really winner! Thank you so much for sharing. I will be serving this again on Christmas Eve.
This was such an easy recipe. The only change I made was to use Splenda instead of sugar. This is will be fixed at my house all the time. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.
Deliciously moist and tasty. Had to substitute sliced apple for pie apple mix. I doubled the mix but won't double the syrup in the future as I never used all of it. If you don't want your tart too sweet it is a good idea to half the sugar in the syrup.