Recipe by Kree
This is the perfect side dish on a chilly Autumn evening. The apples give it just the right amount of sweetness, and it smells heavenly cooking. I actually cooked this in a smaller oval casserole dish and used 2 sweet potatoes and 3 apples, so obviously the amounts are very flexible. Just reduce the other ingredients and make sure you use enough OJ so that it covers about 2/3 of the sweet potatoes and apples. Yum! I got this wonderful recipe from my friend Shell Marr.
Top Review by sprue
since i love both apples and yams this was pretty good but it took a lot longer than an hour to cook and it didnt have much flavor. we added some cranberry sauce to it and it was a lot better but without a little bland. still a great combination that i will probably make again using different dressings.
- 6 apples, peeled and sliced (if your apples are small you may want at least one more)
- 6 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 grated orange, zest of
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes or 1 cup breadcrumbs
- nonstick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place alternate layers of sweet potatoes and apples in baking dish, ending with apples.
- Pour orange juice and zest over mixture and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake, covered with foil, in preheated 375 degree oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil, top with crushed cereal or bread crumbs, and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes more until brown.