Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another good recipe for those holiday meals, or anytime your in the mood for sweet potatoes. My mom has also made this with fresh pumpkin and it's delicious also.
- 3 cups sliced peeled, cooked sweet potatoes
- 3 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 2 large)
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- In a greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish, layer half of the sweet potatoes and apples.
- Combine brown sugar, nutmeg, allspice, salt, pepper, and walnuts (if desired); sprinkle half over apples.
- Dot with half the butter.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Baste with pan juice.
- Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until apples are tender.
This tasted great, but it didn't "look" as I expected it to. I guess I would have liked a bit more liquid or something to help everything "mush" together. Perhaps I just cooked it too long... Still it was a great Thanksgiving sweet potato dish.
I've used this recipe for several years, it is a favorite of my guests and a great alternative to the too sweet standard sweet potato casseroles. I
I topped it with Fat Free Cool Whip and serve dit for dessert!