Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a delicious afternoon treat. My family does not like sultanas so I just leave them out. A Donna Hay recipe.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sultana
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 red apples, peeled. cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mixed spice
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- To make apple filling combine all ingredients.
- Place flour, caster sugar and sultanas in a large bowl and mix well.
- Make well in centre and gradually add milk and cream.
- Stir until soft dough forms.
- Knead dough untul smooth and elastic.
- Roll dough into 20cm x 40cm rectangle.
- Top with apple mixture/.
- Roll dough to enclose mixture.
- Brush top with egg and sprinkle with white sugar.
- Place in greased loaf tin and cook 35-40 minutes.