Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
For Zaar World Tour - Scandanvia - Finland. I've been making this simple coffee cake for years -- actually this is the first cake I ever made by scratch soon after I got married eons ago - it is not too sweet and is great with coffee served for brunch or as cut in squares snacks. Recipe source: The Finnish Cookbook
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup light cream or 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced (16 slices)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar together until thick and lemon colored.
- Add eggs, beating until light.
- In a seperate bowl sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients alternately to the batter with the cream (or milk), beating until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 x 12-inch pan.
- Insert apple slices so that the outer edges are up.
- In a small cup combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar with cinnamon.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over top of apples.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
easy good tasting pretty every one should try this cake its just good went into freezer its boys house thnks zaar to i used sugar in the raw for topping ,its my new best baking friend ur 6
I agree wholeheartedly with Rita - this is a wonderful cake! I was planning to bake something different for this morning's meeting, but yeast bread rises on it's own schedule, so I whipped this together, and it didn't disappoint! The apples are soft and contrast beautifully with the crunchy cinnamon-sugar topping. This was ready in 40 minutes; I was afraid it would become too dark if I left it any longer - be aware of your oven's temparature. Lovely, just lovely, ellie! Made for Veggie Swap 21, for April's VIP Chef!
WOW, this cake is outstanding! It is so custardy in the centre and sugary crunchy on top. Mmm, the apples and cinnamon go so well together and make for a lovely autumn treat! I made half the recipe using milk, 1/4 cup sugar and nine slices of apple. It turned out beautifully and will surely be made again! What a great cake for company or just for yourself! :) Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #16 Novembre 09.