For Zaar World Tour - Scandanvia - Finland. I've been making this simple coffee cake for years -- actually this is the first cake I ever made by scratch soon after I got married eons ago - it is not too sweet and is great with coffee served for brunch or as cut in squares snacks. Recipe source: The Finnish Cookbook
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar together until thick and lemon colored.
- Add eggs, beating until light.
- In a seperate bowl sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients alternately to the batter with the cream (or milk), beating until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 x 12-inch pan.
- Insert apple slices so that the outer edges are up.
- In a small cup combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar with cinnamon.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over top of apples.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.