Recipe by CarrieB.
This is from a cookbook called "Grandma's Casseroles". The time to make is just estimated.
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped apple (unpeeled)
- 1 1⁄2 cups natural applesauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 cup low-fat reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray medium nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium heat until hot.
- Add the chopped onion and celery; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until transparent. Add apple; cook and stir about 3 minutes or until golden.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add applesauce, stuffing mix, broth, thyme, sage, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Place stuffing in a greased 8-inch square pan. Cover and bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Cooked stuffing can also be used as filling for cooked acorn squash.