Recipe by snads
I heard of this recipe on the radio one morning (CBC radio one: Edmonton am) and found it on their website and the website said that the recipe is from Alberta Turkey Producers. I haven't tried it yet but I will soon!! EDIT: I did try it and it was fantastic!! I'm glad that I kept this recipe on here so I can keep it somewhere safe! It's fantastic for Thanksgiving for two people...that's what I made it for.
Top Review by chefmick
I didn't see the need to pound the meat at all as the pocket was perfect size to be stuffed. The apple flavor of the stuffing was very subdued. next time I make this I think I'll try laying some apple rings on top of the stuffed breasts to enhance the apple flavor. The drippings made a good gravy base. there were no left overs.
- 1 (1 -2 lb) skinless boneless turkey breast
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small apple, peeled cored and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups bread cubes, day old
- 1⁄4 cup turkey broth or 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup turkey broth or 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- To Prepare Stuffing: Sauté onion and celery in butter for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add apple and seasonings and sauté 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and add to bread cubes.
- Moisten with turkey or chicken stock and set aside to cool.
- To Prepare Turkey Breast: Pre-heat the Oven at 350°F.
- Place turkey breast flat on a cutting surface and slice through meat with knife parallel to cutting board. Leave last inch intact and open up turkey breast like a book.
- Cover turkey with plastic wrap and pound to even thickness with a meat mallet.
- Spoon stuffing onto one side of the breast.
- Fold other side over and secure with skewers or toothpicks along cut edge.
- Place in greased roasting pan.
- Combine apple juice with melted butter.
- Brush over turkey.
- Tent turkey breast with foil and bake at 350 F for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and baste with remaining apple mixture.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes longer or until juices run clear.
- Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes before slicing.
- To Prepare Sauce: Combine turkey or chicken stock with cornstarch and add to drippings.
- Stir and cook until thick and clear.
- Spoon sauce over thick slices of stuffed turkey breast.
- Served with mashed potatoes and vegetables.