Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
There is nothing better then pork with apples. Serve this dish with a light vegetable such as steamed green beans, or green beans almandine.
- Trim as much fat and "silverskin" off of the pork as possible.
- With a good center cut there shouldn't be much besides the bottom.
- Then, using a boning knife cut the pork lengthwise at a 45 degree angle about an inch to an inch-and-a-half from the outside edge.
- Do this on both sides creating a wide V shape in the center of the pork, so that you can pull the chunk out.
- Take this piece that you removed and slice it into 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch strips, lengthwise so that you have about 4 to 5 cuts, set aside.
- Set the oven to preheat at 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the bread cubes, butter, milk, spices and apple until mixed well.
- The mixture shouldn't be too soft and might not clump as much as you might think.
- Stuff the mixture on top of the pork, rounding out the top.
- Don't be afraid to "overstuff" the top of the pork.
- Take the strips of pork we cut earlier and lay them out across the width of the pork loin on top of the stuffing.
- Spread them out evenly to create a pattern.
- Place the pork loin in a good-sized baking dish with extra room.
- Place any remaining stuffing around the pork to fill the pan, if possible.
- Pour the apple juice over the pork loin and the stuffing.
- Bake the pork loin at 325 degrees for up to 60 minutes.
- Check it with a meat thermometer, and when the internal temperature of the pork reaches 160 degrees, it is finished.
- If you prefer your pork well done, let it reach 170 degrees.
- This might add an additional 10 to 15 minutes cooking time.
Although the pork loin held its shape while cooking, once I cut it - it completely fell apart. I would recommend butterflying the loin, pounding flat and rolling the pork and stuffing like a jelly role. The stuffing outside of the roast was runny and more like a puree than stuffing. Although it did have good flavor. My family did not find the meal to be visually apetizing. I would not make again.
Cooked this recipe for an early dinner. It was assume the smell and flavor were incredible. i used a slightly smaller portion of loin than in the recipe and left the stuffing portion the same. The stuffing was a big hit and left in leftover containers with my guests. Very easy to prepare.