Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Source: Better Homes and Gardens
Make and share this Apple-Stuffed Pork Chops recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups apple wood chips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion salt or 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1⁄4 lb bulk Italian pork sausage or 1⁄4 lb bulk turkey sausage
- 1 apple, cored and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup cornbread stuffing mix
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 1 -2 tablespoon apple juice
- 4 pork loin chops, cut 1-1/2 inches thick (about 3 lb. total)
- apple butter
- grilled sliced apple (optional)
- At least 1 hour before cooking, soak wood chips in enough water to cover. Drain.
- For the rub, stir together the black pepper; onion or garlic salt; cloves; and, if desired, red pepper.
- For stuffing, in a saucepan cook the sausage, apple, and onion for 5 minutes or until sausage is cooked through. Drain fat. Stir in stuffing mix and parsley; add enough of the apple juice to moisten. Remove from heat; set aside until cool.
- Trim fat from chops.
- Cut a pocket in each chop by cutting a slit in the meat and working the knife inside to cut almost to bone, keeping original slit small. Spoon stuffing into pockets.
- If necessary, secure with wooden toothpicks. Sprinkle the rub evenly over both sides of the pork chops; rub into meat.
- Drain wood chips. Prepare grill for indirect grilling; test for medium heat above the drip pan.
- Place chops on the lightly oiled grill rack directly over the drip pan.
- Cover and grill chops for 35 to 40 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center reads 165 degree F, turning chops once.
- Add more wood chips every 15 minutes. Brush with apple butter every few minutes during last half of grilling.
- If using wooden toothpicks, remove them before serving. Serve with grilled sliced apples, if desired.
- Test Kitchen Tip: Make a double portion of the stuffing mixture and spoon the extra into an ovenproof baking dish lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover and bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes. Pass hot stuffing with pork chops.
- Nutritional facts per serving.
- calories: 448, total fat: 17g, saturated fat: 6g, cholesterol: 125mg, sodium: 366mg, carbohydrate: 21g, fiber: 2g, protein: 48g, vitamin C: 9%.