Source: Better Homes and Gardens
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups apple wood chips
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon onion salt or 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1/4 lb bulk Italian pork sausage or 1/4 lb bulk turkey sausage
- 1 apple, cored and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup cornbread stuffing mix
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 1 -2 tablespoon apple juice
- 4 pork loin chops, cut 1-1/2 inches thick (about 3 lb. total)
- apple butter
- grilled sliced apple (optional)
- 1At least 1 hour before cooking, soak wood chips in enough water to cover. Drain.
- 2For the rub, stir together the black pepper; onion or garlic salt; cloves; and, if desired, red pepper.
- 3For stuffing, in a saucepan cook the sausage, apple, and onion for 5 minutes or until sausage is cooked through. Drain fat. Stir in stuffing mix and parsley; add enough of the apple juice to moisten. Remove from heat; set aside until cool.
- 4Trim fat from chops.
- 5Cut a pocket in each chop by cutting a slit in the meat and working the knife inside to cut almost to bone, keeping original slit small. Spoon stuffing into pockets.
- 6If necessary, secure with wooden toothpicks. Sprinkle the rub evenly over both sides of the pork chops; rub into meat.
- 7Drain wood chips. Prepare grill for indirect grilling; test for medium heat above the drip pan.
- 8Place chops on the lightly oiled grill rack directly over the drip pan.
- 9Cover and grill chops for 35 to 40 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center reads 165 degree F, turning chops once.
- 10Add more wood chips every 15 minutes. Brush with apple butter every few minutes during last half of grilling.
- 11If using wooden toothpicks, remove them before serving. Serve with grilled sliced apples, if desired.
- 12Test Kitchen Tip: Make a double portion of the stuffing mixture and spoon the extra into an ovenproof baking dish lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover and bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes. Pass hot stuffing with pork chops.
- 13Nutritional facts per serving.
- 14calories: 448, total fat: 17g, saturated fat: 6g, cholesterol: 125mg, sodium: 366mg, carbohydrate: 21g, fiber: 2g, protein: 48g, vitamin C: 9%.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple-Stuffed Pork Chops
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 379.3
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 90.3 mg
- Sodium 265.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 22.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cornbread stuffing mix