Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe comes from Taste of Home Magazine. This is a make ahead breakfast as it needs to refrigerate overnight.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 12 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish; top with half of the pecans, a single layer of bread and remaining pecans. Arrange apples and remaining bread over the top.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and nutmeg.
- Pour over bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Caramel sauce:.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Serve with the French toast.