Recipe by Veghead
Published in Raley's "Tabletalk" email bulletin. Try using a European style rustic bread like herbed rosemary for added flavor.
- 1 (32 ounce) container chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large green apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh apple cider
- 6 cups French bread, lightly toasted and cubed
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped and divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped and divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped and divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil stock in a medium saucepan until reduced to 2 cups; set aside. Preheat oven to 375F and spray a 13-by-9-inch shallow casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet. Add apple, celery and onion; saute for 10 minutes to soften. Stir together 1 cup reduced stock and cider; drizzle over bread cubes. Add cooked produce, 1 tablespoons syrup and 1 tablespoons herbs; toss lightly to mix.
- Meanwhile, cover chicken with plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet until 1/4-inch thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread about 1/2 cup stuffing mixture onto each chicken breast and roll up tightly; secure with kitchen string. Brown chicken on both sides in remaining 1 tablespoons butter; place in prepared dish and surround with stuffing. Top with remaining 1 tablespoons syrup and 1 tablespoons herbs. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken reaches 165F on a meat thermometer.