Recipe by JanuaryBride
Only 7 ingredients and made in the microwave, so you can throw this together in a jiffy. Great comfort food for the fall and winter months. Tart, sweet and good for you too. Perfect for those on a low sodium diet. NOTE: I have made the celery optional and I agree it is better without. I also use WAY more butter and cinnamon than what the recipe calls for :)
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries (or cherries, I have also used dried apricots)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or Splenda)
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (can substitute 1/4 tsp cinnamon with a dash of nutmeg if need be)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut acorn squash in half, lengthwise. Remove and discard seeds and fiber.
- In a shallow microwave-safe dish, place squash cut-side down. Put 1 tbsp of water in bottom of dish. Microwave covered on high power 7 minutes until almost tender.
- In the meanwhile, combine apple, celery, cranberries, brown sugar, spice and butter in a mixing bowl.
- When squash is done, turn them over. Fill centers with apple mixture. Microwave covered on high power 5 minutes longer until squash and apple filling are tender. Let stand 3 minutes in microwave after done cooking.