You can substitute another fruit for the apples, such as cherries, pears, or apricots. Posted for ZWT 2006.
- Preheat oven 425F degrees. Lightly grease two cookie sheets.
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples.
- In a saucepan, heat the butter and cook the apples for 2 minutes until lightly golden. Add the orange juice, honey, sugar, and raisins. Stir until the sugar dissolves and the apples are just tender. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- Place sheet of pastry on a flat surface. Fold in half and make small cuts in the folded edge of the pastry at 3/4 inch intervals. Open the pastry and sprinkle with half of the ground almonds.
- Drain the apple and place half of the apple in the center of the pastry. Brush the edges with egg and fold together, pressing firmly.
- Place the strudel on the cookie sheet, seam side down. Brush with egg and sprinkle with half of the combined sugar and cinnamon.
- Make another strudel with the other sheet of pastry and the remaining apple filling.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crisp.