1/1 Photo of Apple Strudel With Rum
1 hr 10 mins
Clipped from an old issue of Gourmet, from their "You Asked for it" section. The recipe originated from a restaurant in Wyoming called The Aspens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 sheets phyllo dough (14-inch x18-inch size)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumb, finely ground
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- powdered sugar, for dusting, as garnish
- 1Soak raisins in rum in a small bowl for 30 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a large baking sheet with short sides (such as a jelly roll pan).
- 3Have your phyllo laid out and covered with a slightly damp towel so it does not dry out.
- 4Mix sliced apples, raisin mixture, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon.
- 5Clear a nice big flat work surface and line with a long sheet of waxed paper to work on (tape it to the counter) (work so the long sides are facing you).
- 6Lay a sheet of phyllo onto the wax paper and brush with some of the melted butter.
- 7Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of the bread crumbs evenly over the butter.
- 8Place another shet of phyllo on top and repeat 3 times, so that you have 1 more sheet of phyllo left.
- 9Place the remaining phyllo on top,and this time take your apple mixture and place it in a mound on one of the longer sides of the dough, leaving a border along the edge.
- 10Untape your wax paper and then use it to carefully roll up the other side of the dough over the filling, folding in the ends and carefully place onto the baking sheet, seams down (remove the wax paper once you have your strudel safely in position on your pan).
- 11Combine egg and water and brush over the strudel, then sprinkle with nuts.
- 12Bkae in the middle of the oven for about 30 minutes, or until golden.
- 13Allow to cool slightly before serving, then dust to taste with powdered sugar.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Strudel With Rum
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.3
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 61.5 mg
- Sodium 157.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 33.8 g
- Protein 5.6 g