This is made easy with store bought puff pastry. I used a mix of dried nuts and dried fruit but you can use either or.
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 apples, cord and sliced super thin on a mandolin
- 1⁄4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄3 cup mixed nuts, dried fruit
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 puff pastry sheet, defrosted
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork or whisk.
- Stir sugar cinnamon, lemon juice, salt, nuts, vanilla, and flour together.
- Mix in apples gently.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 16 x 12-inch rectangle. With the short side facing you, spoon the apple mixture onto the bottom half of the pastry sheet to within 1 inch of the edge. Roll up like a jelly roll. Place seam-side down onto a baking sheet lined with parchment. Tuck the ends under to seal. Brush the pastry with the egg mixture. Cut several slits in the top of the pastry. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the strudel is golden brown. Let the strudel cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 20 minutes.