Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
The taste of sweet, layered strudel - without the pastry! From Quinoa 365.
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, silvered
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dried apple, diced
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- Rinse quinoa well with water to remove bitter coating; drain.
- Place almonds in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir frequently until almonds are toasted and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine quinoa, water, apple, raisins, and cinnamon in the same saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer for 17 minutes. Stir in vanilla and brown sugar (if using). To serve, divide between bowls, top with vanilla yogurt, and sprinkle with toasted almonds.
Definite five stars, this is excellent! Smelled and tasted a lot like apple strudel, a perfect start for a chilly day. Thanks for posting!
Made for All Aboard The Love Train.
Very tasty! My husband is in the military and this cereal really gives him a good boost of energy. Keeps him full and focused. A very helpful advantage when working with explosives! Lol.
I chose this recipe for Please Review My Recipe in my quest to discover easy, delicious, and nutritious recipes for breakfast. This one delivers... Like Blueberry Flax Hot Cereal With Quinoa, which I made yesterday, this one is full of goodness and flavour, and is a snap to make it the microwave. I put the quinoa, water, craisins (instead of raisins) and cinnamon in a large covered glass bowl and cooked at 100% power for 5 minutes, and 40% power for 12 minutes. This is the method I generally use for cooking quinoa and it seemed to be the right timing for this application in my microwave as well. The vanilla yogurt was a nice touch, but since there is already a sweet touch from other ingredients, I think I would also have been happy with plain yogurt.