Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is simple even though it may not look like it. It's delicious, the first time I made it, I made it for some business associates and they raved about it. Ever since then they look forward to getting one for Christmas! It is an international recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup butter flavor shortening
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 5 apples, peeled sliced
- 1 cup sugar (SCANT)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar (SCANT)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cut shortening into the mixture of 2 cups of flour and salt in bowl.
- Add egg yolks and water: Mix to form a sticky dough.
- Chill in fridge.
- Divide into 2 portions.
- Roll 1 portion very thin on floured surface.
- Place on lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Arrange apple slices in rows on pastry.
- Sprinkle with mixture of sugar, 1 tbsp flour and cinnamon.
- Roll remaining pastry very thin.
- Place over apples.
- Turn up edges of bottom pastry; seal and flute edges.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Spread over warm strudel.
- Cut into squares.
not as flavorful as I would have hoped...I had also never made strudel before and was kind of guessing at what I was doing.
was easy, and taste like ... all day....