Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A nice easy diabetic friendly dessert which I think would be worthy to serve to company from Australian BH&G Diabetic Living.
- 4 sheets phyllo pastry
- cooking spray
- 0.88 lb apples (canned no added sugar sliced)
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 2⁄3 cup custard (2/3 cup low fat)
- Preheat oven to 180C fan forced.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place 1 pastry sheet on a clean surface and spray lightly with cooking spray and then top with another pastry sheet and repeat spraying and layering with remaining pastry sheets to form a stack.
- Cut the pastry stack into 4 equal rectagles and place 1/4 of the apple slices along one of the long sides of one of the pastry rectangles and then top one quarter of the raisins and sprinkle with a little of the cinnamon.
- Fold in the short ends of the pastry and roll up to enclose filling and place on the baking tray and then repeat with remaining pastry rectangles, raisins and a little of the cinnamon.
- Spray the tops of the pastry rolls with cooking spray and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon and bake for 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
- Cut the strudels in half and pour the custard over to serve.
Everything turned out well... after initial problems!
As I opened the fillo bag, I found broken sheets! Fold and cut them was impossible!
As I do not have cooking spray and I use oil with brush this was a challenge.
I used 4 sheets trying to close the holes!
I prepared my fresh apples in the microwave (I do not use the canned ones as I have so many fresh ones).
I used ready custard from the shop but I added some brandy to them.
At the end we got a delicious strudel. We enjoyed this warm with the fresh custard and it was de-li-cious! So yummy!
Note: I will prepare canned apples for this recipe!