Recipe by LifeIsGood
A yummy recipe from Beyond Parsley cookbook. This makes 2 strudel rolls. If you're not familiar with phyllo dough. It can be delicate. I unroll the phyllo sheets and keep them covered with a slightly damp, clean kitchen towel - taking out 1 sheet at a time to work with. This keeps your phyllo from drying out. Use a pastry brush to spread the melted butter on the phyllo sheets.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
This is so good!! I used Granny Smith apples and didn't have ground walnuts for the layers so used finely chopped walnuts. This was so simple to make and produces a very nice breakfast pastry or dessert. Was going to make just one roll, but glad I made two since I could probably eat a whole one myself! :) Made for Down on the Farm Tag.
- apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb phyllo dough (you'll need 10 sheets)
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle the apple slices with the lemon juice and toss to coat completely.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and chopped walnuts. Add this mixture to the apples and combine gently. Set aside.
- Brush one sheet of phyllo dough with some melted butter; sprinkle with a fine layer of the ground nuts.
- Place second sheet directly over the first sheet and brush with butter and sprinkle with another fine layer of ground nuts.
- Repeat this procedure until there are 5 sheets.
- Then place half of the apple/walnut mixture along the long edge of your prepared phyllo , fold over extended sides of sheets (to cose ends) and roll like a jellyroll.
- Repeat that process to make one more strudel.
- Place strudels seamside down on a buttered (or sprayed with Pam) cookie sheet and then brush the strudels with a little more of the melted butter.
- Score the tops.
- Bake 30-40 minutes at 375 degrees F. , or until golden brown.
- Dust the strudels with confectioners sugar , slice and serve warm!