Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 -4 medium apples
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup Equal sugar substitute
- Make the pastry. Melt the butter and beat in a bowl with the water, egg, and salt until well combined.
- Stir mixture into the flour.
- Turn out dough onto a smooth work surface.
- With your fingers, knead the dough until smooth and pliable.
- Roll the dough into a ball, return to mixing bowl, cover with plastic food wrap, and leave to stand for one hour.
- Lightly psrinkle with flour a large piece of cheesecloth.
- With a rolling pin, roll ourt the pastry as thinly as possible on the floured cloth. Work from the middle outwards until dough is paper-thin. Preheat oven to moderately hot (180 degrees C or 350 degrees F).
- Make the filling. Peel, core, and grate apples.
- Mix the raisins, cinnamon, allspice, and almonds with the grated apples. Sprinkle mixture with sugar.
- Make the strudel. With a knife, trim the round edges of two parallel sides of the rolle-out pastry to make a rectangular piece of dough around 16" long and 14" wide. Reserve the trimmings to make decorative lattice strips on the strudel. Arrange and spread the apple mixture over the top of the rolled pastry.
- Fold in the 2 longer sides of the pastry over the filling.
- Lift edge of the cloth near you and use it to push and roll up the pastry into a log shape.
- Place the strudel on a greased baking tray. Cut the reserved dough trimming into 1/2" wide strips; arrange in crisscross fashion over the strudel.
- Bake for 40 minutes and dust with icing or powdered sugar. Serve warm with whipped cream and vanilla ice cream.