Recipe by sheepdoc
Bar-sized apple pie. When I make this recipe, I sub greek yogurt for the sour cream and add more than stated - until it is a good texture to roll. Also, I roll between 2 sheets of waxed paper, peel the top piece, lay back down, flip over, peel the other sheet and flip onto pan.
Top Review by WiGal
Nice recipe with potential, but I had difficulty with crust, it was dry. I could not roll it so used fingers to flatten. After making, looked at a similar recipe-old one of my mother's-- I would next time separate egg and put beaten yolk into dough, and if was still dry I would add milk. Wish I could suggest amount but her recipe does not use sour cream. I would brush beaten white onto top crust. Used parchment for bottom crust eliminating one transfer, and for the top crust knew that I could not transfer it neatly so squeezed dough between fingers and then applied it in sections. Thank you sheepdoc for sharing.
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 5 -6 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 cups apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sift flour, salt, and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Cut in butter and lemon rind.
- Sprinkle sour cream over mixture and mix with fork until moist enough to stick together.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out half on waxed paper to 15x10". Turn over onto ungreased jelly roll pan or baking sheet. Peel off waxed paper.
- Bake at 350 12 minutes.
- Prepare filling - mixed chopped apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Spread over baked crust.
- Roll out remaining dough into 15x10" rectangle on waxed paper. Turn over onto apple filling.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool, cut into 3 1/2 inch squares.