Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A wonderful muffin for breakfast or for your coffee break.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chunky-style unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups chopped apples
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons lowfat margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat muffin pans with Pam.
- Stir the first three ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the next four ingredients and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined (30 seconds).
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping the sides of bowl frequently.
- Add eggs and beat 2 more minutes.
- Stir in chopped apples.
- Fill each muffin cup about three-fourths full (about 1/4-cup measure heaping with batter.) Blend the first four ingredients in a small bowl.
- Drizzle in melted margarine and blend evenly with a pastry blender or fork.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon evenly over each muffin.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until muffins test done.
This recipe was really easy to make, and would be even faster if one chopped apples in advance and froze them. I made this recipe with full fat ingredients instead of lite or reduced fat products, and used 3 whole eggs instead of one egg and the whites. The type of apple I used was Granny Smith. My husband had one hot out of the oven and loved it! My DH is a very picky man, so if he likes it, that's saying something. I too liked the flavor, texture and taste. I will be making these again, for sure!
Very easy and quick recipe for apple muffins! The instructions were clear and easy to follow. I thought the texture was a bit off, but the next day they were better. Thanks!