Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These vegan muffins are my 6-year-old dd's favorite! I adapted the recipe from Betty Crocker's New Cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons soy margarine, firm stick
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1⁄4 cup safflower oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup shredded apple
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 400. Line muffin pan with 12 baking cups.
- Prepare Streusel Topping by cutting margarine into flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl using a pastry blender or crisscrossing two knives until crumbly. Set aside.
- Beat rice milk, oil, vanilla and applesauce in large bowl. Stir in shredded apple.
- Stir in flour, sugar, baking powder and salt all at once just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy).
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle each with about 2 tsps of Streusel Topping.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan to wire rack.
I made these muffins today, with a few small changes: I used butter instead of soy margerine, and regular milk in place of the rice milk (what I had on hand), added 1/2 tsp cinnamon to the muffins (in addition to the cinnamon in the topping), and used 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup Nutragrain Flour (available in Canada, has more nutrition and fibre than white, but behaves like white.) They were very good muffins - I would just up the cinnamon I added to the muffin batter next time. The topping was awesome! Made for PAC Spring '09 - thanks for the recipe - I'll definately make it again! Thanks!
Yummy! These are awesome!