Recipe by LizbethGrace
I got this recipe out of a book my mom had called Mmmmmmuffins. I made them for a brunch and they turned out wonderfully. The topping is a nice treat.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup melted margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup finely diced apple (we like granny smith apples for their tartness)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- MUFFIN BATTER.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. In small bowl thoroughly combine eggs, buttermilk and margarine and add all at once to dry ingredients with apple. Stir just until moistened. Don't worry if batter seems a little stiff. Spoon into muffin tins.
- To make streusel topping, combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in margarine until mixture forms small crumbs. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
- Bake at 400ºF for 20 to 25 minutes.