Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe from an old Company's Coming recipe book of my mom's. It is so simple, uses up bruised apples, and tastes great. *Note* It is not a typo, it really is 1 tablespoon of baking powder.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup shredded apple, packed (with peel or without)
- Topping: In small bowl rub together the first amounts of sugar, butter, cinnamon, and flour until crumbly.
- Set aside.
- Muffins: In large mixing bowl whisk together second amounts of flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Make a well in the center.
- In another bowl beat egg, milk, and cooking oil to blend.
- Stir in apple.
- Pour wet mixture into well of dry mixture.
- Stir just until moistened.
- Fill greased muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake in 400 F (200 C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
I made these and Apple Cinnamon Muffins #122939 (which were very yummy) I wanted to make two recipes to compaire them. My 7year ol son said "tell the cooker these are YUMMY! I give them 10 stars!" Which I think sums it up well! The muffins were light and flavorful and the topping was a wonderful addition! Although I think next time I will make half the topping, we didn't use all that the recipe called for. Thanks for the post!
These muffins are very tasty and easy to make. I made the recipe as posted except that I added 2 small, peeled, diced apples (McIntosh) instead of shredded apple. It worked out fine for me. Mine needed to bake a minute or two longer but that may be my finicky oven. Thank you for posting!